Friday, November 28, 2008

Apprehension

I was so excited when I realized that today I worked through something that I was really uneasy with.

Jared asked me to assist him with a wisdom tooth extraction case. Normally, I don't mind assisting him with dental cases and I enjoy feeling needed in "his world" but today was a little different... a little more intense... a little more surgical.

It was all I could do to look at where we were working. I had to remind myself to keep breathing as he worked on removing 4 impacted teeth with such expertise. I did the best I could as I forced myself to see where to hold the suction. Turned out, it was disturbing yet fascinating at the same time.

Yes, there is a reason why I majored in business and computers. No blood and guts there (literally speaking). Special thanks and appreciation to Whitney and Lindsey for being great dental assistants so I don't have to ;-)

5 comments:

Janice said...

I've assisted dentist husband only a handful of times and I HATED doing it. It takes a certain type of person to be a dental assistant and I am NOT it.

Lindsey said...

If it makes you feel better it gets easier, and eventually you don't even notice all the blood... Good job though!

Janice said...

Hey Jen, can you e-mail me your address so I can send you a Christmas card? You remember our ridiculously long e-mail address don't you?

Erica said...

You remind me of Bella in the first book when they do blood typing in their science class! Way to be brave - I don't think I could ever assist Jared (unless it's Calculus homework and he needs my vast knowledge of mathematics *wink*)!

Jamie and Tom said...

wow I am proud of you! That is tough stuff!! Just so you know, Tom and I went private but we don't have your email. We want to keep in touch, so either email tom or me at jamiehebdon@yahoo with your email so I can add you guys!